Friday, March 20, 2009

Unofficial Diagnosis - The Flu

Oh my what a day...Wednesday the whole lot of us went mobile. I loaded Cerdwin into the van and we took my mom to the ER around 10am. Mom said she absolutely had to see a doctor and get something to help relieve the symptoms she has been having. Driving her to her primary care office was out of the question. I knew I was not up for that hour drive and wait. We opted for the 15 minute drive to the ER in Danbury. Cerdwin had a fever and that made for an eventful trip of course. Fever combined with a tendency for car sickness is not a good combination. Within 5 minutes we were stopping to clean up. Cerdwin and I sat in the van waiting for Memaw for about 2 hours. I had wanted to leave and just go back later to pick her up. Cerdwin insisted she was not going to leave without Memaw. Unfortunately, we had to leave around noon. I had to come home and shower before taking Cerdwin to see her doctor in King at 1:30pm.

After a quick shower and dispatching Jason to pick Memaw up from the ER. Cerdwin and I head out for the half hour drive to King. Of course, we were only 5 minutes from Dr. Taha's office when Cerdwin started to vomit again. She only had liquids on her stomach so we didn't have a huge nasty mess, but a mess none the less. Cerdwin did very well at the office visit. I was very pleased with her behavior. Our last several visits to the doctor's offices have been less than pleasant. She is still very apprehensive after the traumatic experience of having stitches removed from her lips. We saw Katrina (Nurse Practitioner) for the first time. She seemed very personable and Cerdwin seemed to like her. Diagnosis...something viral. She did give us a script for Amoxicillian in the event it progresses like the virus has in the rest of us. As soon as we came out the door, Cerdwin started saying she was hungry. She wanted a chicken leg, macaroni & cheese, and a drink from Bojangles.

Shortly after getting home, I called to get an appointment for myself with a doctor. I was expecting to get in on Friday. Nope! The receptionist asked if I could be there by 4:45pm. Shock! I had already put on my pj's and crawled into bed. I just rolled out of bed, slid on my new Ithaca Crocs, grabbed my bag, and took off out the door. I felt so crummy, I had no cares at all about what anyone thought of my attire. At least I was wearing a decent t-shirt and lounge pants without any holes. Another half hour drive back to King for an unofficial diagnosis of The Flu, official diagnosis Acute Bronchitis. Since it was to late prescribe anything to help relieve the flu symptoms, the doctor wouldn't actually say it is the flu. I walked out with prescriptions for antibiotics and an inhaler.

It was an extremely exhausting day. Fortunately, Jason and I got the exact same prescriptions. I took a couple of doses of his antibiotics until I could get to the pharmacy to pick up mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment