Thursday, October 15, 2009

Pre-K/Head Start Decisions

It has been a strange weather week around here. Rainy, cold Monday, blue skies and nearly hot Tuesday, frigid, rainy Wednesday. Today I am terming it Gloomy Thursday.

Between my nerves and Cerdwin's interest we have decided we are going to try a public Pre-K(Head Start)program if an opening comes up. All the schools remotely close to us do not have any openings right now. I had an appointment on Tuesday to fill out the application to get her on a waiting list. When we arrived on time for the appointment the person we were to meet with had left for the day. I was not a happy camper. I was able to get the paperwork that took me nearly an hour to fill out.

I just really don't see that some of those questions asked are necessary. I understand the initial applicants with what is perceived as the highest need are the first get accepted into the program. We are not a family struggling from week to week to put food on the table, facing eviction from our home, or without medical insurance and care. I know we have a number of families in our community in those situations. I wouldn't want those children to miss out on an opportunity to get the benefits from Head Start just because my nerves are on edge and I need a break. I feel like some of the questions are prying into our personal lives more than I want.

The papers are filled out and all the necessary documents are gathered to complete the application. I just haven't made up my mind if I really want to go through with it. I am so torn over this decision. While I am at my wits end with our day in and day out struggles, I love having her at home with me too. I think she would probably like going to school because she is a very sociable child. Her sleep schedule is going to take a major hit though. She is not an early morning person at all. Having to be at school by 8:30am is going to be tough. Even if I go ahead and turn in the application there are no guarantees that she will get in. She will be on a wait list until there is an opening. I could still choose not to send her at that point. What a difficult decision!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment