Thursday, May 28, 2009

I cooked again

For me to get in the kitchen and cook something is a rarity. It isn't that I don't like to cook or that I can't cook. I actually sort of enjoy it. It is just a challenge for me. My back just doesn't hold up for standing in one spot for long and it is a true battle of the wills with Cerdwin. She always wants to help. Not that I mind that most of the time, but when she gets in the kitchen she has her own agenda. It doesn't always work with what I am trying to do. Rolling Eyes
So, last night I decided to throw something together. I think you can buy something "like" this in a box, but I am not a fan of those things. I am calling it
Taco Lasagna.

*Brown 1lb. ground meat with some diced onions
*Add a package of Taco Seasoning (I used the McCormick Cheesy kind) and prepare according to directions.
*Add a can of refried beans to the meat mixture and heat through.
*Prepare some rice. I just used white rice and popped it in the microwave.
*Add salsa to the rice and mix well. I didn't measure the salsa...maybe 3/4 - 1 cup.

*Preheat oven to 350
I used a stone baking dish and sprayed the bottom with non-stick cooking spray.
*Place a 10 inch soft tortilla shell on the bottom of the dish
*Layer with a portion of the meat & bean mixture
*Add a layer of rice & salsa mixture
*Add a layer of Fiesta blend cheese
*Add another tortilla shell
*Layer of meat & bean mixture
*Layer of rice & salsa mixture
*Layer of Fiesta blend cheese
*Add a third tortilla shell and top off with another layer of Fiesta blend cheese.
*Pop in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and everything is heated through.

Slice like a pizza. I think there 8 generous slices.
Topped with some sour cream and diced tomatoes. (You could add a little more salsa too.)

I still had some of the meat & bean mixture and rice left over. There was probably enough for another layer, but what I made was to the top of the 2 inch deep baking dish I used.

Everyone seemed to like it. Even Cerdwin ate a good sized portion. Mom added too much extra salsa to hers and it was a little to "hot" for her. The salsa I used was pretty spicy. Of course, with any recipe you can adjust things to your taste. I definitely went heavy on the cheese, but we all love cheese. And to make me feel a little less guilty over all that cheese, I used low fat sour cream. Laughing

No comments:

Post a Comment