Wednesday, April 8, 2009

...and too the parents shall suffer

Yesterday was a bad day for me in the pain department. My legs ached like a tooth ache and my back was very "catchy". I opted out of taking Cerdwin to PE Class because I didn't feel like I could keep up. Since it was chilly and windy and she really wanted to go to PE, I thought we would take her to Chick-Fil-A for some playtime and let her expend some of that energy. We got there around 2:30 and she was having a blast playing with some kids who were a bit older than her. My friend Jennifer, who lives in Huntersville, was in town. She was able to drop by for a few minutes since she was in the area. We were chatting when some other people came in with 5-6 kids. It wasn't long before I noticed one of the mothers go into the play area and it appeared there was some sort of issue with Cerdwin. She was up in the tunnels somewhere. I got up to check on the situation just as the mother and the entourage of kids came filing out of the play area. The mother informed me, "Your daughter is in there saying she doesn't like my daughter and she was pushing her. Would you please ask her to stop doing that?" WTF? Now, I know Cerdwin is mouthy, but usually she is not physically aggressive. This apparently wasn't the case on Tuesday. When I went into the play area, followed by the kidtourage, I called Cerdwin down. I asked her to apologize to the little girl(proabably 3 years old) for pushing her. She insisted that she didn't like the little girl and refused to apologize. After several attempts at getting Cerdwin to apologize, she finally said sorry, but not to the little girl and in a very dismissive tone. I didn't accept that and tried to make her apologize again. However, being the queen of avoidance, she tried everything in her power to not do it. I finally told her that she was through for the day and she needed to get her shoes. We went rounds over that until I finally had to find her shoes, put them on her, and march her out of the play area. She was screaming the whole way of course. As soon as Jason, Cerdwin, and I got outside the doors she stopped screaming. Oh the dramatics!
Our original plan had been to have some playtime at CFA, then go to Gatti's Pizza for dinner and some games. That plan got squashed though. We just came home. So too the parents suffer for the bad behaviors of the child. Man! We were looking forward to some pizza!
We discussed why she said she didn't like the little girl and why she had pushed her. I still don't quite understand why she said she didn't like her. She did say she had pushed the girl because she would get out of the way so Cerdwin could get by. We explained to her that next time she needed to ask nicely, "Will you please move so I can get by?" If that doesn't work, go another way, wait your turn, or call for mommy or daddy. I think she got it. Still don't understand the reasoning behind not liking the girl????
So no pizza, no cartoons, and no Wii last night made for a long evening at home with a 4 year old drama queen. And...I didn't even get to say goodbye to Jennifer before she had to leave while I was dealing with the incident. Her response was: "That lady made me mad! She should teach her kid 2 take up for herself and that sometimes things happen. The kid was in no way hurt or in danger. Kids will be kids!" I have to agree with her to some point. The lady didn't approach me in a confrontation way and I wasn't offended by her. I just don't want my child to be a bully and will certainly try to teach her not to react the way she did, but things like that are going to happen. I am sure the same thing has happened to Cerdwin, but she is like a duck and just lets it roll off her back. She doesn't come tattle-telling when stuff like that happens. She tries to deal with it on her own. She may not react in the most appropriate way, but they have to learn to solve their differences on their own too.
Today is a new day and we will move on. No sense in dwelling on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment